Wednesday 22 August 2012

The reality of retiring...

Well this week is the first week that doesn't feel like I am just still on holiday - very odd....   I seem to be doing a lot of running around, and will need to be more disciplined I think to make good use of my time.   That said my ironing basket is empty for the first time in ages.   I did learn to cook paella at YW camp and made that for supper last night, and Tim is enjoying coming home to dinner almost ready - ha ha a very uncommon occurence when I was working.

I have been trying to do good deeds for others, following the example of Richard Auger's http://doingtengoodthings.blogspot.co.uk example, but haven't made it to 10 in a day yet.   Visiting Nanny Henry took four and half hours on Monday so quite hard to fit in anythng more than being a considerate driver.   Some of the things I do are so enjoyable it hardly seems fair to think of them as doing good deeds too.  I won't be keeping count but Richard has made me think about it.

Today I was able to visit Martin and Alison Boome because they were in Reading to help take care of Martin's elderly parents, and that was lovely.   I also met a former work colleague for lunch, Maureen Sable - and that was also great, nice to catch up.   This evening I went to visit Pam Skeete with Margaret Goddard, and I think that was good for both Pam and Margaret - it was certainly good for me : )  I do love visiting teaching - I always come home feeling good.

Last week I was up in Yorkshire and was able to spend time with the four grandchildren up there, and help Amy out by looking after Hayley and Austin so she could sleep after her two night shifts - that was fun, and it was lovely to spend time with Caitlin and her two little boys too.   I did enjoy have unpressured time to chat with all the family.    Heather and George were in York on Friday from South Africa, on their way home from a cruise to Alaska and we had a lovely fish and chip lunch with them at The Wetherby Whaler just on the north of York - a short but pleasant visit.

I haven't walked for just over a week now so need to get back to that - but I have seen the dentist and had a bone density scan - my family will be pleased to know they won't be nursing me back to health after broken bones anytime soon.   Off to the temple tomorrow with Cheryl Carvill and Kathy Wright and then to finish preparing my RS lesson for Sunday, and try and figure out why I can't text Sheri in NZ or Jess here in Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment